When I retired from over 30+ years in education, I was looking for the best part-time jobs for teachers-something to supplement my income. As I did my research, I found many part-time teaching jobs. At this time in my life, I was not interested in traveling to a job.
Online part-time teaching jobs
As I did my research, teaching English to Chinese students online kept showing up in my searches. After reviewing several online companies that offered remote part-time teaching jobs, I went through the hiring process and have worked as an online tutor for Chinese students learning English for the past two years. Having been a school administrator for many years, I didn’t realize how much I missed the daily interaction with students until I started teaching online.
Benefits of remote part-time teaching jobs
- After commuting four hours a day, a major plus is not having to travel, get dressed up, and wear uncomfortable shoes. Working in front of a camera means I have a collared shirt on with my pajama bottoms and slippers. I couldn’t ask for anything more.
- With part-time hours, I teach in the morning and have the rest of the day free to do the things I enjoy. Other tutors I know work only on the weekends since they have other responsibilities during the week. The flexibility is fantastic, and you can tailor your hours to meet your schedule.
- Since parents are paying for these lessons, the students are motivated to learn and are mostly hard-working. At the end of each class, you can see the progress students have made, and they have the opportunity to ask questions that they may not have the opportunity to do in a brick-and-mortar school.1
- “If you want to become a digital nomad and travel the world while working, then online teaching is a great option”.2 Traveling is a passion for me. I love that I can take my laptop and a small bag of props and go wherever I want and still work.
- Part-time jobs such as these help you make extra money and help fill the void you did not consider when you retired. You also have the benefit of sharing your knowledge and expertise with both students and other tutors in your learning community.3
If you are like me, a retired senior with lots of time and looking for some extra income, perhaps it never crossed your mind to explore the best part-time teaching ESL jobs. Teaching ESL online is much different than you might have imagined. “Recent technology advances, widespread internet connectivity, and online entrepreneurship have made finding relatively stable professional online teaching jobs much more possible than ever before—and the lifestyle that goes along with these types of jobs often comes as a surprise.” 4
Part-time, online teaching is not only rewarding, but also gives you a vast amount of freedom, and provides you with the opportunity to learn about other cultures and meet tutors from around the world. I have enjoyed my conversations with these tutors and am amazed that we all have a common interest in helping students master the English language. The cultural exchange experienced with students and their families is invaluable. Sometimes you can travel without leaving your home.5
Does teaching with ALO7 sound like a good fit for you? If so, visit the application portal to apply.
References for Best Part-time Jobs for Teachers? Try Teaching ESL online!
1, 2, 5 The Blond Travels (2020). Retrieved from https://theblondtravels.com/why-become-online-English-teacher/
3 Wibble, C. (2018). Retrieved from https://blog.alo7.com/jobs-retired-teachers-retirees/
4 Saldana, C. (2020). Retrieved from https://www.fluentu.com/blog/educator-english/teach-esl-online/
Hi, my name is Loraine Petrillo. I live in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania which is in the United States and have over 25+ years of teaching experience with students of all ages. I have a Doctorate degree in Education and a Master’s Degree in Counseling. My passion for teaching is one of the highlights of my life. Traveling, hiking, kayaking, gardening, and reading are a few of my interests.